September 26 has been chosen by the United Nations to be the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons (Nuclear Abolition Day)
On this day, join parliamentarians, mayors, religious communities, youth, artists, activists, and others around the world to Reach HIGH for a nuclear-weapon-free world.
- Take a photo of yourself, or you and others, on a high place or reaching high, or lifting a peace sign/object up high;
- Post your photo on social media with the hashtags #ReachHIGH2018, #Sep26dontNukeUs, #abolishnukes, and/or #YouthAgainstNukes.
Contact UNFOLD ZERO for a sample peace sign to use in your action.
Promote a nuclear-weapon-free-world
Reach HIGH for a nuclear-weapon-free world aims to raise awareness about the 2018 UN High-Level Conference on Nuclear Disarmament, and to push governments to adopt significant nuclear disarmament measures at the conference. These could include:
- Non-nuclear governments ratifying the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons;
- Nuclear-armed countries announcing reductions in stockpiles and an end to nuclear modernization;
- Nuclear-armed and allied States adopting a no-first-use declaration, and agreeing on a framework for achieving a nuclear-weapon-free world;
- Starting negotiations for nuclear-weapon-free zones in North East Asia and the Middle East.
Call on your government to attend at the highest level
The best way to ensure success of the 2018 UN High Level Conference is for governments to attend at the highest level (Prime Minister/President or Foreign Minister). If they do this, there is every expectation that they will adopt, or make significant progress on, nuclear disarmament at the conference.